header
Friday, March 17, 2006
After about 4 year of consecutive use of Linux and Open Source Software I have decided to migrate to windows. There are several reasons underlying this decision. In the first place, I get the feeling that I am missing something since not all people are using Linux and Open Source software. If it is so good as I always say, why are not all people using it? Then there is that goodfriend of mine, Reinier, he like FOSS a lot, but doesn't want to migrate to Linux. Open Source on Windows that is his tune. There is also my colleague James Wire, from the East African Center of Open Source Software (www.eacoss.org), he is consider to be the FOSS preacher of East Africa, but his computer is running windows... There must be something interesting in this software. Something that I seem to miss since I am only using Linux and FOSS!
Of course there are also the FOSS wannabes who are using Mac OS, but this I tried and there is nothing special in Mac if you know what you are doing in Linux.

Secondly, I like to know how it feels to migrate. My last migration was done in more than 4 year ago and I need some thrill now. One of the most important reasons for people not to switch to different software (read M$) is that the migration is so difficult. Is this really thie case? People do not have problems to change the brand of their cars, or their wives (if you read the statistics),but software, this is all different! Once used to MS word, it is so so difficult to move to something else! Outlook, Explorer, all the same. Is the software so good that that all the alternatives are mediocre at best? Knowing the reputation of MS in the Linux world, I really cannot believe this. But let me try and experience it.

Thirdly, changing from Linux to Windows is UNcool. Good reason to see why people think this way. The rationale between the people in the wondows world and the Linux world is totally different. Recently I met a Belgium Know-It-All here in Bujumbura who told me that Linux users prefer to do things the difficult way. But then he did not seem to to have any other then Click-and-Pray knowledge (on top of that Belgiums always know things better than the Dutch). Maybe that is the thing: Linux is for real men and Windows for the Granny. We do not want to be a Granny, do we?

Enough for the moment. I am going to keep you nformed about the progress of the migration.
1 Comments:
Blogger muloe said...
So how is the progress with the migration? This is REALLY hilarious. I was shocked by the first line and then it just became really amusing towards to end. You should consider Windows Vista! REALLY SUPERIOR to anything out there. :)) haha