header
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
I have completely migrated my Linux Box to a Microsoft machine. I can do almost all the things in the Windows environment that I can also do in Linux. And most of the things I can do with Free and Open Source Software. The process was frustrating and difficult. After half a year of Microsoft at least I know that I miss nothing. The operating system is buggy, unstable, slowing down very quickly and most annoyingly I cannot repair anything in the system. It feels like driving a car that performs poorer every time that you start and use it, but you cannot repair it since the bonnet does not open, you do not have the tools to adjust and the only thing that the workshop is advising you: "Buy a new car if you are not happy with its performance!!".

Open Source Software is difficult to find. The Microsoft world is not focused on the use of Free and Open Source Software. It seems that this world is more geared to stealing. Hacks and cracks for proprietary software are easier to find than good OSS alternatives. Strange and at the same time very worrying! Freeware is more easy to find. Especially the software bank www.tucows.com allows you to search for different software licenses. This is a great feature for people like me do not want to steal but also do not want to buy. This feature also revealed to me how few applications in the Windows world are released under some kind of Open Source license (contrary to the Linux applications on the same website - worth a check in see the differences between these two worlds). I am puzzled by the motives of the people that write Freeware. Why are these people not adopting one of the good Open Source licenses, this may help them to improve the code quicker and get the community involved. Wouldn't that be nice!

And now back. I am sick and tired of my Windows machine. I have ordered Ubuntu's Dapper Drake and until this arrived (it is a shame that his takes so long. It would be nice if Canonical has quicker delivery times for the people in Africa because most of them order since they cannot download the software), I use a Mac (Powerbook G4) with OSX 10.4 (a bit slow,but stable) and only Free and Open Source software. Although this is a good alternative since the software is open, the developers from Apple also miss the point when the machine is delivered without at least the basic software to make the machine into a useful tool. Why not put a selection of Open Source Software and Freeware on the machine when it is delivered to the market (Open Office or AbiWord (looks great on the Mac), the GIMP, some good games (I am hooked on SuperTux), the GanttProject, Journler, LyX, the Typing Tutor (http://homepage.mac.com/typetrainer4mac/Menu1.html) for the people who can still not type with all the typing fingers that God gave them, iStumber for the wireless connections, Chmox to read the MS e-books etc. Wow, this would make us people in Africa really happy.

I hope that Dapper Drake will arrive soon so that I can do the famous 'format c:' and that I can forget the Microsoft Nightmare again. I leave this one for real masochists.

I will also close this chapter on the Microsoft Migration. Since I have received an appointment as Regional Correspondent for the World Dialogue on Regulation (www.regulateonline.org) I will move more to the regulation issues, but my focus will remain on the Open Source issues.